This UNITAR Privacy Notice (hereinafter referred to as “this Privacy Notice”) sets out how UNITAR Capital Sdn. Bhd. (Company No.: 842825-T), its wholly owned subsidiary company namely UNITAR International Academy Sdn. Bhd. (Company No. 1087291-D) and its wholly owned private higher education institution namely UNITAR International University (Registration No.: DU004(B)) (hereinafter collectively referred to as “UNITAR”), as Data User, collect and process Personal Data of individuals in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Act 709) and the laws of Malaysia.
By providing Personal Data to UNITAR, Data Subject is deemed to have read, understood and consented to this Privacy Notice and the Processing of Personal Data as described in this Privacy Notice. Data Subject may at any time withdraw his/her consent to UNITAR or limit the Processing of his/her Personal Data by notifying UNITAR.
UNITAR may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time and the updated version shall apply and supersede any and all previous versions, including but not limited to, online or hard copy versions. Please check UNITAR website for information on the most up-to-date version.
“Act” The Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Act 709). “Commercial Transactions” Any transaction of a commercial nature, whether contractual or not, which includes any matters relating to the supply or exchange of goods or services, agency, investments, financing, banking, and insurance, but does not include a credit reporting business carried out by a credit reporting agency under the Credit Reporting Agencies Act 2010. “Data Processor” Any person, other than an employee of the Data User, who processes the Personal Data solely on behalf of the Data User, and does not process the Personal Data for any of his/her own purposes. “Data Subject” An individual who is the subject of the Personal Data. “Data User” A person who either alone or jointly or in common with other persons processes any Personal Data or has control over or authorises the processing of any Personal Data, but does not include a Data Processor. “Personal Data” Any information in respect of commercial transactions, which:
that relates directly or indirectly to a Data Subject, who is identified or identifiable from that information or from that and other information in the possession of a Data User, including any Sensitive Personal Data and expression of opinion about the Data Subject; but does not include any information that is processed for the purpose of a credit reporting business carried on by a credit reporting agency under the Credit Reporting Agencies Act 2010.
- is being processed wholly or partly by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose;
- is recorded with the intention that it should wholly or partly be processed by means of such equipment; or
- is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part of a relevant filing system,
“Processing” Collecting, recording, holding or storing the Personal Data or carrying out any operation or set of operations on the Personal Data, including:
- the organization, adaptation or alteration of Personal Data;
- the retrieval, consultation or use of Personal Data;
- the disclosure of Personal Data by transmission, transfer, dissemination or otherwise making available; or
- the alignment, combination, correction, erasure or destruction of Personal Data
“Sensitive Personal Data” Any Personal Data consisting of information as to the physical or mental health or condition of a Data Subject, his/her political opinions, his/her religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature, the commission or alleged commission by him/her of any offence or any other Personal Data as the Minister may determine by order published in the Gazette for the Act.
Personal Data for Collection and Processing
The Personal Data that UNITAR collect from Data Subject for Processing may include but not limited to the followings:
- NRIC and/or passport number
- Date of birth
- Telephone and/or mobile phone number
- Fax number
- Marital status
- Family information
- Preferred language
- Mailing and/or residence address
- E-mail address
- Country and/or state of origin
- Bank account and/or credit card information
- Academic qualification
- Employment information
- Programme of study enrolled or intends to enroll
- Personal interests and preferences
- Data when browsing UNITAR website
- Recording of image via CCTV cameras and/or by UNITAR’s official photographers when visiting UNITAR’s premises or during events organised by UNITAR
- Recording of calls made to UNITAR’s telephone lines
- Any other additional information may subsequently be provided.
The Personal Data will be collected directly from Data Subject when Data Subject:
- contact UNITAR for any enquiries including by calling the customer service representative(s)
- submit an application form i.e. on-line or hard copy
- enroll or register into UNITAR’s programme of study
- use computer network and/or other ICT services of UNITAR
- participate in any of UNITAR’s surveys
- enter into or participate in any competitions, contests, events or programmes run/organised by UNITAR
- register interest and/or request for information of UNITAR’s programme of studies and/or services i.e. through our online portals or other available means
- respond to any marketing materials send out by UNITAR
- commence a business relationship with UNITAR (e.g. as a service provider or business partner)
- visit any of UNITAR’s premises
- browse UNITAR’s website
- lodge a complaint with UNITAR i.e. through e-mail or other available means
- provide feedback to UNITAR e.g. via online or in hard copy.
UNITAR may also obtain indirectly Data Subject’s Personal Data from third parties that UNITAR deals with or are connected with the Data Subject, or from such other sources where Data Subject has given his/her consent for the disclosure of Personal Data, and/or where otherwise lawfully permitted.
In situation Data Subject needs to provide UNITAR with Personal Data relating to third parties (e.g. about spouse or children or company or institution), the Data Subject confirms that he/she has obtained the necessary consent or otherwise entitled to provide the Personal Data to UNITAR and for UNITAR to use for the Purposes below.
Additionally, Data Subject may at any time request UNITAR to stop using any or all parts of his/her Personal Data for any or all of the Purposes below. UNITAR will stop the usage of any or all parts of his/her Personal Data as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so.
- Purposes of Personal Data Collection and Processing
UNITAR shall collect, and process Personal Data for the following purposes (“the Purposes”):
- internal record keeping
- internal activities of UNITAR e.g. for registration, deferment application, drop/withdrawal application, transfer application, credit transfer application, change of programme, internship programme, examination, results, hostel placement, students activities and other related internal processes and activities
- provide services requested by Data Subject
- respond to queries or requests submitted by Data Subject
- process applications submitted by Data Subject
- marketing of goods or services and periodically sending any advertising and/or promotional material to Data Subject
- conduct of market research
- in emergency situation i.e. in which the Personal Data is released to authorities, relative and/or next of kin, insurance provider or medical officers
- for future employers’ reference
- evaluation or review of UNITAR’s products and services for improvement
- administer Data Subject participation in any competitions, contests, events or programmes run/organised by UNITAR
- security and fraud prevention
- statistical analysis, market survey and trend analysis
- finance and marketing activities
- corporate governance
- assessment of employment application with UNITAR
- Disclosure of Personal Data
The Personal Data may be disclosed or transferred to selected third parties, including but not limited to:
- law enforcement agencies
- government agencies
- companies and/or institutions associated with UNITAR, local or abroad, that act as UNITAR’s agents, contractors, advertisers, service providers and/or professional advisers
- companies and/or institutions, local or abroad, that assist UNITAR in Processing and/or conducting UNITAR’s programme of study and/or delivering UNITAR’s services that Data Subject has registered or requested for
- any referee whose details are provided by Data Subject which may be located in Malaysia or abroad.
- other parties for purposes that are related to the Purposes above
- other parties in respect of whom the Data Subject has given his/her expressed or implied consent
subject at all times to any applicable laws.
UNITAR shall take appropriate steps to ensure that these third parties are contractually bound not to use the Personal Data for any reason other than the Purposes above and to adequately safeguard the disclosed Personal Data.
- Security of Personal Data
UNITAR shall take reasonable efforts and practical steps to ensure the Personal Data in its possession is adequately protected against improper use, alteration, unauthorised access or disclosure and using available appropriate security technology.
- Accuracy of Personal Data
UNITAR shall take reasonable efforts to ensure the Personal Data is correct and up-to-date. However, it is the responsibility of Data Subject to provide accurate and complete Personal Data to UNITAR for the Purposes above.
In the event that Data Subject failed to provide UNITAR with accurate and complete Personal Data, UNITAR may not be able to process the Personal Data for any of the Purposes above.
In addition, Data Subject may make a request to UNITAR to update the Personal Data as and when it becomes inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date by contacting the contact details provided below.
- Retention of Personal Data
UNITAR shall retain Personal Data for as long as necessary for the Purposes above, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Any Personal Data retained by UNITAR shall be disposed and/or deleted if it is no longer required for the Purposes above.
- Access to Personal Data
Data Subject shall be given access to his/her Personal Data, as provided by the Act, subject to administration fee prescribed by UNITAR below:
No. Descriptions RM 1. Access request for a Data Subject’s Personal Data with a copy 10.00 2. Access request for a Data Subject’s Personal Data without a copy 2.00 3. Access request for a Data Subject’s Sensitive Personal Data with a copy 30.00 4. Access request for a Data Subject’s Sensitive Personal Data without a copy 5.00
Data Subject may make a request to UNITAR for access or to update the Personal Data as and when it becomes inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date by contacting the contact details provided below.
UNITAR shall use reasonable efforts to comply with the request to access or update the Personal Data within twenty one (21) days after receiving the request and the relevant administrative fee.
- UNITAR Contact Details
Quality and Regulatory Management Department
UNITAR International University, 3-01A, Level 2, Tierra Crest, Jalan SS6/3, Kelana Jaya, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Phone: +603 7627 7200 (General Line)
+603 7627 7309 (Direct Line)
Fax: +603 7627 7242
- Student Related
Student Administrative Services
Address: UNITAR International University, 3-01A, Level 2, Tierra Crest, Jalan SS6/3, Kelana Jaya, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Phone: +603 7627 7200 (General Line)
+603 7627 7341 (Direct Line)
Fax: +603 7627 7238
- Employment Related
Human Resource Department
Address: UNITAR International University, 3-01A, Level 3, Tierra Crest, Jalan SS6/3, Kelana Jaya, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Phone: +603 7627 7200 (General Line)
+603 7627 8120 (Direct Line)
Fax: +603 7627 8131